Huntsville, Ala., – June 5, 2012 -Between 1990 and 2000, Huntsville/Madison County lost 6% of its “young professional” population (25 to 34 years old). The Arts Council, the Chamber of Commerce of Huntsville/Madison County and the Committee of 100 commissioned a study to investigate the reasons for the loss of this important segment of the local population.
The result, the Huntsville Talent Magnet Report, was released in 2005 and included recommendations for attracting and retaining young professionals. With the 2010 Census as a resource, the three partner organizations commissioned a review of the initial report by the UAHuntsville College of Business Administration – Center for Management & Economic Research (UAH CMER). The principal investigator, Jeff Thompson, presents the key findings of the research at Merrimack Hall today. Speakers from the sponsor organizations will make brief remarks.
The research completed by UAH CMER attempts to answer two key questions:
• What progress has been made on the goals of the 2005 young professional workforce plan as outlined in the Huntsville Talent Magnet Report?
• How will the young professional population contribute to the local community in the decade ahead?
Through surveys, interviews and focus groups, the review focused on four key areas:
· Impact of efforts to enhance the attractiveness of the community to young professionals
· The 2010 Census: Demographic shifts since 2000
· Local employer perspectives on the young professional workforce today
· Opinions and improvement suggestions of young professionals
Click on links below to review briefing or full report:
Presented 06 05 2012
By: Jeff Thompson, principle investigator, UAH CMER
Released 06 06 2012
By: Committee of 100
The Huntsville Times coverage of briefing by Marion Accardi - 06 05 2012 on al.com
For more information regarding the commissioning or follow up of the study , contact the Chamber of Commerce of Huntsville/Madison County’s vice president of Workforce and Industry Relations, Lucia Cape, 256-535-2033.
For questions and inquiry on the specific details of the commissioned research study, contact principle investigator & interim center director for UAH CMER Jeff Thompson.